Here is a list of the ways to market you on the Internet.
• Setting up profiles on company portals and job boards to showcase your resume and skills.
• Creating a personal resume website that is tailored towards your skills and resume. Although it can be expensive, the chances on being found increase due to the Internet being used a main search tool for recruiters. Post projects you have worked on and a portfolio of your services you can offer to a prospective employer.
• Posting your availability as a job seeker and a brief summary to free classified-based websites including Craigslist, MySpace and Backpage.
• Joining social networking sites including LinkedIn and Facebook. Set up profiles/blogs on those sites and post your resume and credentials, divulge industry knowledge, share activities you are engaged in, provide your own networking tips or tips on advancing in a given career.
• Starting a blog on well-known sites such as Twitter, Blogger, TypePad or WordPress to share your professional knowledge and get information from other bloggers. This lets you be proactive, forward-thinking and draws people to you.
• Joining discussion groups on social networking sites such as LinkedIn, Facebook, Myspace, Yahoo Groups and Google Groups to create an Internet presence that you can use to market yourself. Discussion and networking groups exist for different industries, companies, interests, etc.
• Making connections (building your network) on these networking sites. Get advice and give advice. Search company names, co-workers, etc. to see with whom you have connections.
Personal Resume Website and Blog
You may also consider creating your own website for your skills and resume. Although it can be expensive, the chances on being found increase due to the Internet being used a main search tool for recruiters. Post projects you have worked on, and a portfolio of the services you can offer to a prospective employer. When sending out emails, include a link to your personal marketing website; it makes you stand out from everyone else as someone who is serious about their job search!
A personal Website is one of the best ways to promote and let the world read all about the benefits of your career brand. Your portfolio should include all important brand artifacts: resume(s), mission statement, detailed accomplishments list, samples of work, articles and working papers, speech transcripts, awards and honors, testimonials, and more.
Even better, publish content-rich articles, and other keyword-rich materials that lead prospective employers looking for someone with your qualifications directly to your site.
If you are a decent writer and can commit to writing regularly, creating a professional blog is a great tool for building your career brand. A blog is a specialized Website that focuses on a particular subject (person, industry, profession) that can include news, analysis, commentary, and links in a variety of formats (including print, audio, images, and video). Your blog showcases your expertise and knowledge of your industry or profession and is an excellent way to build your career brand. In your professional blog (or anywhere a hiring manager might see) never mention anything about sex, religion or politics. This handout talks more about blogs, including Twitter, later on.
Setting Up Your Website in 5 Easy Steps
1. Create a www.godaddy.com account.
2. Search domain names via the domain search tool. (We suggest using your name and try to stick with a “.com” or “.net” domain). Once you have established an exclusive domain, click Add and Proceed to Checkout.
3. Upon approval and receipt, go back to the GoDaddy homepage (make sure you are still logged in) and select Website Tonight under “My Products”. (If you cannot see the Website Tonight button, click Show All of My Products and it is listed there.)
4. In the Website Tonight section, click Use Credit in the yellow box. On the right-hand side, select your website and click Continue. It guides you through the remainder of the process.
5. Once you have a Website Tonight domain established, go back into the Website Tonight section and check the box next to your domain and click Launch. It guides you through a tutorial step-by-step process on developing your website.